Do you often think to yourself “Oh, I wish I could take them all home, but can’t!”
What you can do, is visit them all regularly and help us find them a home! Volunteering is an excellent alternative to adoption, and with most of the same benefits of adoption, without taking the animal home. We don’t expect everyone to adopt, but we really appreciate your help in finding them homes! One of the best things about volunteering with Wood County Humane Society is that just about everyone can do something to encourage shelter pet adoption and humane animal care, whether that is in the shelter or out of the shelter.
Steps to Start Volunteering
1) Register at our volunteer database, My Volunteer Page. Here, you are able to create your username and password and complete your volunteer application. To sign up to be an individual volunteer, click here and register with My Volunteer. For group volunteering, please read the “Group Volunteering” section below.
2) You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator for a phone or in-person interview.
3) New volunteers will attend a mandatory scheduled volunteer orientation, in which a tour of the shelter will be given.
4) If interested in volunteering with dogs, an additional dog handling training session will be required.
5) Once training has concluded, you may begin scheduling yourself for shifts by using the volunteer database My Volunteer Page.
6) When you come into the shelter for your volunteer shift, you will be able to “clock in” at a designated computer using your My Volunteer Page username and password. Once you complete your shift, you will then be able to “clock
7) Our volunteer database allows you to track all your hours! This helps us tally how many hours have been donated to us both individually and as a whole at the end of the year. Tracking your hours is important to us! We use these totals to give awards at the end of the year for outstanding service, submit information for taxes, and apply for grants.
…And it’s that easy! Thank you in advance for your interest in making a difference in the life of a shelter animal.
Have a group that wants to volunteer together for a day, week, or month? We would love to work with your group! Depending on the size of your group we may be able to accommodate your service in the shelter, but if you have a
large group we may require your service to be completed outside of the shelter. To discuss a project or for group suggestions and requirements, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator with your group size, hour requirements, skills, and plans.
If you are working on a class project, before you start, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator so that we can work together, from the beginning, on your project.